Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Steering and Rose Joints

September 11th 2016

At the practice day
it was pointed out that there was a clunking from my rose joints (spherical bearings to you).
They are at each end of the lower radius arms on the front axle (and on the inboard end of the front axle A frame).

I was a bit miffed as they are new bearings, but in the spirit of the sport I bought some new ones with Teflon inserts. No difference really, but the inserts absorb the minute play in the bearing and keep them quiet.
Whilst I was fiddling with my front-end (opportunity for tired joke there) I decided to try and improve the steering lock.
The rack is already shortened and a bit worn so I decided not to bother that any more, but to shorten the steering arms on the hub carriers.

This is the before (top) and after (bottom).


It looks quite extreme, but in fact it isn't that much if you measure from the kingpin to the steering joint pin.
It has increased the lock. Now the carrier needs altering to clear the axle a bit. I shan't sweat over it as I haven't knowingly been hindered by insufficient lock.



No comments:

Post a Comment